Tuesday, June 24

Waiting

“The LORD is waiting to show you mercy, and is rising up to show you compassion, for the LORD is a just God. Happy are all who wait patiently for Him.” Isaiah 30:18
I remember a time when my daughter did something she knew she wasn’t suppose to do, and she got hurt. She was mad; I knew it was mostly mad at herself, but she was mad at me, too, simply because she realized I was right. If she had followed the rules I had given her, it would have prevented her from getting hurt. As soon as she stopped being mad and asked for my help, I rushed over to console her, and she apologized for breaking the rules. I took care of the boo-boo, she learned a valuable lesson, and we snuggled.

This is what God wants to do. There are times (too many!) when I have broken the rules, went against what I know God wanted me to do. And I got mad at myself for screwing up, but I think at first I was even a little mad at God for being right! As soon as I acknowledged that I had sinned, and asked for his help, he rushed right in to comfort and love on me. He was right there the whole time, just waiting for me to look up and ask for help. The Lord knows this life is hard, and he knows I’m going to mess up sometimes, especially when I step out ahead of him, and don’t wait for his instructions. When I do what I think best, without waiting to hear what God has to say on the matter, I’m most likely going to get hurt. But when I listen, and I wait, things go so much better.

(
Please also read my post about perseverance on my other blog here.)