Tuesday, August 5

Eyes of Mercy

“I do not know that the prodigal saw his father, but his father saw him. The eyes of mercy are quicker than the eyes of repentance. Even the eyes of our faith is dim compared with the eye of God’s love. He sees a sinner long before a sinner sees Him.”
C.H. Spurgeon (from sermon based upon the Prodigal Son)

This is such a clear picture of how much God loves us. He is watching, waiting, with tears in his eyes, until we finally look up and see him. We may be afraid to look him in they eye, expecting to see anger burning in his eyes, or at least hurt and disappointment. For a long time, I knew he was there but I did everything I could think of to keep from making eye contact. I knew what a sinner I was, but I kept justifying all the reasons why I did what I did. I prayed, but my prayers were more about telling God that I knew what I was doing (ha!) and that he didn’t need to be looking over my shoulder or worrying about me. I spent years trying to stay just out of God’s reach (which of course, is actually impossible) so that I wouldn’t have to see the pain I had caused him. I didn’t realize the love I would see when I finally did look into his eyes, and that the heartache I would see there was because he felt my pain as his own.

Just as the father of the prodigal son watched and waited for his wayward son to return, my God watched and waited for me to return. He knew I would, eventually, but if he had forced me to return to him, he knew I wouldn’t have appreciated him as much as I do now. He gave me freedom, which I abused, and it was my own stubborn pride that kept me from running back to him. I returned only when I had tried to stand on my own and had failed miserably. I was broken. Just as the prodigal son, I expected harsh treatment, but my Father just wrapped his arms and told me how much he loves me. He continues to walk right along side me every day, and for that I will be eternally thankful.

“When he was still a long way off, his father saw him. His heart pounding, he ran out, embraced him, and kissed him. The son started his speech: ‘Father, I’ve sinned against God, I’ve sinned before you; I don’t deserve to be called your son ever again.’ “But the father wasn’t listening. He was calling to the servants, ‘Quick. Bring a clean set of clothes and dress him. Put the family ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Then get a grain-fed heifer and roast it. We’re going to feast! We’re going to have a wonderful time! My son is here—given up for dead and now alive! Given up for lost and now found!’ And they began to have a wonderful time. ” Luke 15:20-24 (the message)

(”In Other Words” is hosted today by Heather at Mumblings of a Mommy Monk.)