Tuesday, July 15

Words

“May the words of my mouth
and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable to You LORD,
my rock and my Redeemer.”
Psalm 19:14

I spent a long time learning to tame my tongue and had a bunch of verses copied down to help me when my tongue was running away from me again. Back then, it was mostly an effort to not say unkind or slanderous things to or about the people I was having difficulty with at the time.

This verse goes further than that, though. Here God is showing me that I should do more than just avoid saying bad things. Everything I say, every single word that comes out of my mouth should be pleasing to God. Not only my words, but even my thoughts! This is definitely one of those times I am extra glad for the Holy Spirit as my helper because this would be humanly impossible for me. I know I’m still not there yet, but with God’s help, I’ll keep getting more like he wants me to be.