Thursday, May 8

Demonstrating Love

“But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:8

Wow. I say that often, but it’s all my simple little human brain can come up with sometimes to express my awe about my Lord. So I say again - WOW. I know God loves me. Anybody who has grown up in church has heard the little song, ”Jesus loves me, this I know…” So I know that God loves me. But how much? This verse says that while we were still sinners, he chose to die for us. We didn’t do anything to earn it. He is so generous, and so loving, that he suffered and died while we were messing up. He didn’t wait until we were starting to get our lives on track, or making promises to do better, or reading our Bible, or anything. He did this WHILE we were sinners. Have you ever had anyone who has really hurt you, broken your heart, disappointed you, or deliberately betrayed you? Can you imagine, at that moment, while the pain and hurt is still fresh and raw, choosing to lay down your life in a horrible and humiliating manner in order to save that person’s life? That’s exactly what Christ did.