Wednesday, May 28

Foundations

“Everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on a rock.” Matthew 7:24

I’ve been involved in building a few houses. I’ve watched the process from clearing the site all the way through the finished product. I’ve even had to oversee much of the process myself - while pregnant (not fun!). So I learned a few things along the way. If you don’t get the foundation right, everything is else is out of whack. In a really bad case, the whole house could be downright dangerous to live in, and even fall down.

Thinking about that, I get the picture Jesus is painting with his words. If my life is my “house”, what am I building it upon? It kind of goes back to what I said before the verse. If I don’t make sure I’m building my life on Christ, then I have nothing to offer anybody else. I won’t be any good to myself, and surely not to the rest of the world. I’ve tried building my life on other stuff, and it’s all good for a little while; everything looks pretty from the outside. But when the storm comes and the wind blows, those things don’t stand up to it. The life I’d built before came crashing down in the storms of life. Then God helped me bulldoze that old junk away so I could start building my life on the sturdy foundation of Christ. And oh, what a difference that has made.