Friday, May 23

Timidity

2 Timothy 1:7
“For God has not given us a spirit of fearfulness (timidity), but one of power, love, and sound judgment.”
This verse speaks to me so much every time I read it. Originally, I read the NIV version which substitutes “timidity” for “fearfulness” so I like to think of both. I’m enthusiastic, I love people, I’m a talker, and I like to learn and try new things. However, anything outside my comfort zone, even if it’s something I love doing, often frightens me out of my wits! Sometimes my husband and I teach dance lessons; every time, my stomach hurts and I can’t eat beforehand. I’ll feel almost sick - until we get started! Then I’m loving it! Same thing with any time I’ve ever had to speak in front of a large group of people, or even when we go on photo shoots! Now that I’ve learned what it is, I am learning to deal with it, and we just make jokes about it. After we’ve finished whatever it is, I’m always famished!!!

This is just one way fear - or timidity - messes with me. But this verse reminds me that I don’t have to be afraid. God is always with me, holding my hand the whole time, picking me up and dusting me off if I do fall on my face. When I allow him to be in charge, I know it’s going to be alright. I haven’t yet figured out how to totally eliminate the fears, but I am learning to keep going even when I feel afraid.

God also reminds me in this verse, that he’s given me power! I really CAN do all things through Christ, because he gives me strength. I know I’m a big ol’ wimp on my own, so I love remembering that it’s his strength I’m depending on, rather than my own.

He also gave me a spirit of love. He loves me, and by loving me, he has given me the capacity to love. What a wonderful gift. And sound judgement! Boy, do I need that, because my judgement isn’t so great on it’s own. I have made a whole lot of mistakes by depending on my own “good” judgement; what a relief that he gives me truly sound judgement.

You know, the biggest, most overwhelming thing all these verse have been telling me is that life is just better when I let God lead. I wasn’t meant to do everything on my own, and I complicate the heck out of things when I try. I’m trying to really, truly, wholly, lean on God.